[Expyezp] sobre ubuntu

Juan I Reyes juanig at Maginvent.ORG
Mon Feb 25 11:22:25 PST 2008

> i did run into ubuntu which seems to be a branch of debian with what
> looked like a liveCD iso but i dont know if anyone uses it.

Ubuntu has ranked in the #1 or #2 spot on distrowatch for the past
couple years. It is funded by a former Debian developer, Mark
Shuttleworth, who previously started a company that he sold to
VeriSign earning him 500+ million dollars. So, now he has plenty of
time and money to devote to his linux 'hobby'. I believe Canonical
(the company behind Ubuntu) is around 50-100 employees now (mostly
engineers).

http://distrowatch.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Shuttleworth
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canonical_Ltd.

> it has a package system called symantic or something that ive never
> heard of (not that that should stop me i guess...) but i need to be
> able to easily install software like svn etc.

Ubuntu is based on Debian and so it uses the debian based package
system. The command-line interface is apt. There are also a number of
graphical frontends to apt including synaptic.